Unexpected Latin Humanities Course Results


General Idea of Latin American Studies
                  Honest Course Opinion

   Beginning the first week of Humanities, I was stressed out with falling behind on the assignments given on the first day, which I was out on a hike and had no idea I would be given homework on a Saturday. Taking American Humanities last semester, I gained some insight into the idea of what humanities are and why the topic is important. I expected this class to be as fun as my last humanities class in which I wanted to learn about how Latin Americans are able to live such enriched lives that were created in unique ways, both by the influence of colonizers and by those that created civilizations along the way that have grown and fallen. Nearing the end of the semester, I believe that the definition of humanities is studying the way humans live in specific areas and the culture they live by that can grow to influence outsiders. This definition intrigues me to consider looking into studying the concept of humanities on my own time. With the goal of learning about Latin American culture and people, it was achieved through assignments that were assigned in which they touched upon the objectives of the course and helped me to see what I needed to know.

Overlooking Machu Picchu (Location: Peru)
Intriguing Class Concepts

   What interested me the most about the class came from understanding how difficult it is for Latin Americans to embrace modern culture in the United States while trying to save their own culture. It is crazy to believe that such civilizations have been able to keep traditions alive that were assumed to be forgotten years ago. The structure of the class helped me to note these observations, from the engaging discussions to comparing sources to reading a couple of class books. Reflecting on learning through blogging was a new concept to me as I have never done so in the past. It can be stressful at times, but I am glad we were able to try out new things. I learned that Latin Americans are very diverse and, like those living in the United States, they are human. The vulnerability of Latin Americans, both in their home countries and attempts to migrate to the United States, was brought to light in this course as we saw how they were treated in poor conditions and vulnerable to orders they have to follow from those above them, whether at the border or at work with picking fruits and vegetables. 

As for what I already knew, I only knew about the geography of Latin America and how Latin Americans are living in poorer conditions than those in the United States. Latin America is unique in ways I could not comprehend before but can understand from a new perspective. Embedded below is a YouTube video that is two minutes and thirty seconds and explains why the concept of Latin American Studies is important to learn and how it correlates to corresponding countries such as the United States. I selected this video because it influences people like me who had no prior interest in humanities to consider looking into such studies and finding out what we should know about countries such as Latin America that are not fully discussed upon in the media.

Latin America Map (Caribbean Not Part of Latin America)
                 Course Project

   The group project I worked on with three other peers touched on the question of what it means to be human. The subject has always caught my attention as the definition of being human is constantly translated in many different ways. I liked how the project revealed to me how creative my peer members are and allowed me to work with others as I never got the chance to with other assignments in the course. Although it was stressful at times, especially with finding accurate information and pictures, the final result was worth all the work put into it. I forgot to track my hours, but I spent more than ten hours working on the project. Would I do it again? I sure would.



 



Books Read In 2021

Unfortunately, I did not read any books other than the two books we read for this course. As a result, this section will be on the short side. Reading is not an interest of mine, but I am hoping to change that over time with new opportunities to read books that may inspire me. 

Christenson, Allen J. Popol Vuh. O Books, 2003. 
  • The stories of the K'iche people are collected into one book. Throughout the book, short stories are told about heroes and villains that have shaped the Maya civilization. Such people include Seven Macaw, Hunahpu, and Xbalanque. Major research was conducted to make the stories written as authentic as the originals. The pictures here and there help illustrate the meaning of each story and how the story's message is shown to the reader(s).

Holmes, Seth M. Fresh Fruit, Broken Bodies: Migrant Farmworkers in the United States. University of California Press, 2013.
  • Seth M. Holmes goes on an adventure with Triqui migrants as the trek across the U.S.-Mexico border becomes as dangerous as the work the migrants are limited to in the United States. He spends years working in the fields picking fruit alongside his companions that were suspicious of him and eventually grew to trust him as he stayed on the fields for a long time. Through his research, he brings to light how migrant farmworkers are not appreciated enough for the work that they do and that their hard work goes easily unnoticed. I would recommend this book to anyone who is interested in looking at how migrant farmworkers are treated on a daily basis and how migrants sacrifice a lot through crossing the dangerous U.S.-Mexico border.

Works Cited

Bodenheimer, Rebecca. “What Is Latin America? Definition and List of Countries.” ThoughtCo, 28 July 2019, www.thoughtco.com/what-is-latin-america-4691831. Accessed 17 May 2021.

“Latino/a & Latin American Studies.” Occidental College, Occidental College, 2 July 2020, www.oxy.edu/academics/areas-study/latinoa-latin-american-studies. Accessed 17 May 2021.

“Why Latin American Studies?” YouTube, uploaded by Center for Latin American Studies University of Florida, 5 Oct. 2015, www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGNUQ-g8dcc&feature=youtu.be. Accessed 17 May 2021.

“Why Major or Minor in Latin American Studies?” The University of British Columbia, The University of British Columbia, 23 Jan. 2020, fhis.ubc.ca/news/why-major-or-minor-in-latin-american-studies/. Accessed 17 May 2021.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Importance of Birth Control

Incorporating American Culture Into Oaxacan Life

Valuable Stories of the Maya